Organize It: Filing System

Happy Monday! I spent this entire weekend organizing our files. My living room looked like a paper war zone. For the longest time I have been in need of a proper filing system. What finally kicked this need into over drive was one day last week I needed to find a form that I just knew I had placed in one my many filing spots. I say spots cause that is exactly what they are, no proper file drawer, just on a random shelf or in a folder somewhere in my room. Yes, I am very unorganized when it comes to paper, I keep it all from school drawings from the kids to every receipt known to man. Hi, my name is Darnetha and I have a paper problem!
Well back to the point, I tore the house up looking for this one piece of paper. That was my aha moment, the light bulb went off. I headed to the Container Store to find some sort of file cabinet. After stopping by Target to get a few other essentials, I came home to dive into this overwhelming project.
First step, I had to gather all of my files, boxes, bins and loose paper from all-around the house. I didn't want to scare you, so I only took a picture of one of the stacks. I spread everything out and went through each paper and started to make piles. My piles consisted of trash, recycle, shred, file, can't decide and HOT (handle now).
I started to sort my file pile into categories and then subcategories. These categories are unique for every person and mine might not suit you. So I won't share my categories. After a day of sorting and wanting to quit I started to put them in manilla and hanging file folders.

I went a step further and added washi tape to the file folders to give an otherwise boring thing some pizzazz. The only thing I have yet to do is to actually label each file.
A stress has been lifted off my shoulders and this daunting task is finished (except for the labeling)! I also still have to shred a ton of paper but my shredder wasn't having it. I had to keep letting it cool down, I was overworking the poor thing!

Here are a few tips to follow once you have your filing system in check:
  1. Always put files and paper back where they belong as soon as possible after using them.
  2. File regularly - I will file once a week so my piles of paper won't build up, I have a cute box on a shelf in the living room that will serve as a spot to store them until I file them.
  3. Clean out files once a year.
Did you guys organize anything this weekend? Do anything fun? Or just lounge around? I hope you found my big organization project helpful. I will see ya soon!

10 comments

  1. I'm the same way! I have so much paper its crazy! lol - my mom actually bought me a little file container which really has helped me, I just need to remember it more often, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just went through the same thing. Lost a piece of paper, tore through everything to find it, REALIZED WE HAD THROWN IT AWAY, then digging through the trash. Looks like we need to follow your lead! Also, love the blue color of your door (or furniture?) in the picture above!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, don't you just hate when that happens. I have done that exact same thing a time or two. And that is my front door, it is painted Robbins Egg Blue by Glidden.

      Delete
  3. Great idea! I love how you added the pizzazz it's pleasant to the eye plus sparks my creative side. I live to get organized and you did it in STYLE. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!!! I have to get myself in gear too and start organizing. Stopping by from Sew Much Ado linky party.

    Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.ca/2013/01/fun-fur-boa-scarf.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so there. In the middle of swimming through piles and piles of papers trying to once and for all create some kind of system!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING!!!!! I love the washi tape on the file folders! Too cute! Great job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks great and I love the color scheme you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your folders are so cute! The green polka dots are very refreshing to the eyes. How are you going to categorize your folders, by the way?

    -Ruby Badcoe @ WilliamsDataManagement

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

{If you have a question, I’ll try to answer you by email, but if you are a no-reply blogger I will answer you in the comment section}

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig